Keeping the Spring Stomach Bug Away
The spring stomach bug and other viruses seem to be all around me. What are some ways to keep myself from its attack!?
— Flu-fighter in Finleyville
Great question! It’s important to know that a strong immune system is the key to wellness, so let’s talk about what that means.
Your immune system is kind of like a fence around your house. Its purpose is to keep you safe by keeping unwanted visitors out. Your immune system works the same way. Its purpose is to keep you healthy, by keeping unwanted germs and disease out. When it is strong, you remain healthy but if it is weakened, unwanted intruders have an easy entry.
Below are some simple ways to keep your immune system going strong.
- Drink more Water! Water hydrates the body and flushes out germs and toxins.
- Make sure you are getting adequate rest. Your body does its best healing while you are sleeping, so get those zzzzzzzzzz
- Fuel your body with our Healthy Organic fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables give your body vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep you going strong. (Stop by our Café for a fresh juice or smoothie.)
- Take some time to De-Stress… Did you know that 80% of all disease is due to stress? It’s true. Stress is the number one anti-nutrient on the planet, and lowers your immune system faster than anything else. So stop and take some deep breaths during the day, you will be amazed how much better breathing makes you feel. (Don’t believe me? Hold your breath!)
- Take in a daily Probiotic. Probiotics provide your body with the “good” bacteria it needs to keep fighting for you. The more good bacteria you have, the less the bad bacteria can take over.
- Oregano oil has many wonderful uses and keeping “the bugs” away is one of its best. A drop or two a day can enhance your wellness in a major way.
- Try some Coconut oil in your daily diet. Coconut oil with its naturally high levels of lauric acid converts into a compound that has potent anti-microbial properties and can help boost immunity and fight off illness.
You can cook with it or just eat some off the spoon. 🙂
- Elderberry extract and Vitamin C are always good choices when it comes to immune boosting. Both help to keep your immune system in good shape.
- Research points to Vitamin D as being a good protector of the immune system.
If you are already feeling the effects of a seasonal bug, try calming your rumbling stomach with some soothing tea. Ginger is well known for its digestive and healing properties, and studies suggest it may help fight inflammation. Green, oolong and black tea also offer disease fighting antioxidants, while fermented Kombucha tea gives your body natural probiotics and lots of other health benefits.
Sunny Bridge Natural Foods and its knowledgeable staff, have everything you need to help you and your family stay healthy year round. So come in and see us soon. We look forward to being of service to you!
Have a healthy sunny day!!